Monday, July 20, 2009

Relay for Life






Boy was this a busy weekend! It was Watermelon Day in Stanhope, we had Angel Food Ministries distribution day, so that meant going to Ames to pick up food (that's a whole 'nother story!) and distribute the food at the Parish, I did a graveside funeral, the gals hosted a bridal shower at the church and then I spent almost 2 hours talking with the bride and groom to get to know them and get wedding logistics nailed down. But the most important thing I did (with due respect to everything else), at least for my heart and soul... was participate in the Hamilton County Relay for Life. I was greatly honored and humbled to be asked to offer the opening prayer Friday night, but that was such a miniscule thing compared to how I was touched by the whole event... especially the tears in my eyes during the survivor lap, especially when friends Laura, Mara, Betty J, and Arlene went by...and walking the track during the luminary service with all the lights out except for the candles lit inside the hundreds of luminaries lining the track. As we walked in silence, a local radio DJ, Pat Powers, read off the names of people whose names were on the luminaries (either in Memory of or in Honor of). I tried to pause briefly in front of luminaries for friends...Margaret, Doris, Charles, Jeannie Mac, Arlene, Laura, Mara, Amanda, and others... and, of course, to say a prayer of thanks in front of a luminary for dad.




But it was a lot of FUN, too! Our team captain, Miriam, was so organized, not just with our team, but also as a member of the Relay planning team.

There was dancing and teams had fundraisers, like our 'track your laps' cords with a bead for each lap around and bowling, and selling purple wrist bands, a pie auction, selling candy, and much more. at 11 there were fireworks.


Oh yes... another inspiration in the evening... one of our youngest 'team members' ... Amanda Ostrem, was also the Honorary Chair of the event. Amanda is just 4 years old and just came through a horrendous couple years fighting a very aggressive form of leukemia. You'd never know it from the energy and spunk this little princess has. The picture is of Amanda giving a princess wave during the survivor lap, riding on her dad's shoulders.

As of Friday night, Hamilton County had raised over $50,000. Final totals aren't in yet. THANK YOU to everyone that helped with the team and our fundraising events, especially those friends and family who supported me for the event and to help eradicate this awful disease that has touched us all. Oh... and by the way... from over 4 miles in laps, plus 30 minutes of non-stop dancing (thank goodness for the 60 degree temps). Plus other walking and standing from 5 pm to midnight. Yes, when I got to bed at 2 am my lower half was screaming "What have you been doing!!!???" but I'm OK now... mostly. :-)

1 comment:

Camp Stanhope Happenings said...

Very nicely stated. You can get other Relay pics off the flickr page http://flickr.com/photos/campstanhope or going to my blog and clicking on the link on the right-hand side of the blog. I even got the fireworks videos on (there are several because if I want to blog one, there's a limit of time on them).