Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wednesday Activities at GA


This afternoon was an awesome State of the Church address by General Minister & President
Sharon Watkins including an amazing video presentation using the opening texts from Genesis. Our emphasis is the new mission statement of the denomination, promoting unity to a fragmented world. And they are doing a lot to promote that we are truly part of the world, including speakers in the video from the Disciples of Christ in Puerto Rico and The Disciples of Christ in the Congo.
Tonight the worship service included singing Jesus Loves Me in three different languages, Spanish, Korean and English. We also sang All Creatures of Our God and King as a group of rhythm folks from the Congo came in playing their huge, interesting drums and other rhythm instruments. Tonight's preacher was Rev. Dr. Cynthia Hale from the Ray of Hope Christian Church in Atlanta and her church choir sang a song, too. I wouldn't want to be any preacher or singer who would have to follow them. Powerful, Powerful, Powerful. And I'll tell you more when I get back, but I want you to know that the next time someone says to you, "You are a piece of work!" Tell them thank you. We are created by God to be in relationship and to be stewards of all God's creation, bringing it all together as one... people and the earth. The symbol of the GA is a tree. The leaves of the tree are hands in shades of green and our offering tonight were our commitments written on green paper hands... and I tried to upload a picture of the communion table that is so creative and so beautiful, but for some reason it won't load. I'll try again tomorrow or sometime... but, the offering table is hand created to look like the bottom of a tree trunk... everything about the table is symbolic, and written prayers are going inside throughout GA. By the way... they say it's for sale if a church would like to buy it. The opening rate for it is about $8900. :-) Just wonderin' if Jerry would like me to put our name in.
There's a time change here... we're on Eastern time so as I type it's 10:30 in Stanhope, 11:30 pm in Indianapolis and time to go to bed! It's an early start tomorrow

No comments: