Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A New View

Last Sunday afternoon I went to my hometown to Central Christian Church, the church that I grew up in and still call home. They were having an open house to show the community the newly rennovated sanctuary. This was not a small job. They turned the whole sanctuary around 180 degrees with the altar on the opposite side from where it had been for the last 99 years. I have been excited to see the progress a few times along the way over the last many, many months. But I must admit that I was afraid that I would walk into this church that has been one of the single most important influences in my life, and I would no longer feel 'at home' or that it was my home any more. But when I walked in and sat down, I looked around and said "Yup...it's still home". New and improved...much different... but no more strange to me than being in a home where the livingroom or kitchen or something had been completely gutted remodeled. The space is beautiful, they kept the exterior and used many elements (including the large dark wood cross for which I give praise and thanksgiving) from the old sanctuary. The space is also completely flexible, functional and will allow so many new and different things to happen in ministry there...including the inclusion of a new video/projection/computer/sound system. They stepped out into a scarey path with great faith and conviction and God blessed their efforts and I know will continue to do so. On a side note... as I thought about feeling at home... of course the biggest part about always feeling as though I am "coming home" when I walk into Central... is not the building or the carpet or the new pews... it's the people... the true church and body of Christ, not wood and plaster. I got my hug quota for about 3 days in the just over 60 minutes I was there. Congratulations, Central for the beautiful new worship space, the updated Sunday School rooms, but wonderful fellowship area... but most of all... for continuing the love of God to one another and the world... and thanks so much for still welcoming me home as part of the family!

No comments: